PyType_Type?

William Dandreta wjdandreta at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 29 11:39:46 EDT 2000

Hi Thomas,

>Hm. I don't have the vaguest idea what 'overlays' are, nor how to compile
>for DOS, with or without DOS extenders ;-) But I can tell you where to find
>the symbols.

Overlays are used in DOS because of the 640K memory limit. You create a base
exe that has all the common stuff and break up the rest of the .c files into
smaller pieces called overlays that get swapped in and out of memory.

For example,  let's say the base exe takes 256K of ram, you allocate 128K
for the overlays, that leaves 256K for the heap.

This will be the first time I have tried to use overlays.

>This is the 'initstruct' function from the struct module. You don't seem to
>compile the struct module (it isn't in the list of compiled C files you
>included) so you might want to comment this out. Wether this'll result in a
>working Python is something else, I don't know what uses the struct module.

There are 2 similarly named modules structmodule.c and structmember.c. The
DOS name for these modules is struct~1. Since they are in different
directories, there shouldn't be a conflict but since all the .obj files are
in the same directory, one would over write the other. So compiling with
one, the other or both all caused errors. By naming the files differently
and including both, the related errors disappeared.

>The signal module. Same story as above, I guess, though I assume signals
>are entirely different under native DOS. Signals might live in an entirely
>different file, or they might be nonexistant. I do not know wether you need
>this module or not.

I had eliminated the signalmodule because it did not look like I needed it,
I needed to use compiler directives in config.c to eliminate the _initsignal
function.

It now all compiles and links without errors and I am ready to start on the
overlay part.

Thanks for the help.

Bill