MacOS: problems with tkinter

Art Werschulz agw at sobolev.dsm.fordham.edu
Thu Jun 8 11:55:33 EDT 2000

Hi.

I'm trying to use python on a mac (233MHz Beige Power Mac G3 running
MacOS 9).  I have installed Python 1.5.2c1 and Tcl/Tk 8.3.0.

I am having trouble running various demos involving tkinter.  A
typical error traceback looks like the following:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "Dogbert:Applications:Programming:Python
  1.5.2c1:Demo:tkinter:guido:hello.py", line 4, in ?
    from Tkinter import *
  File "Dogbert:Applications:Programming:Python
  1.5.2c1:Lib:lib-tk:Tkinter.py", line 8, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

Please note that $(PYTHON):Lib:lib-tk is in my sys.path.

So how *does* one configure Mac python to work with Tk?
According to http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/trouble.html#checking:

  If it fails with "No module named _tkinter", your Python
  configuration needs to be modified to include this module (which is
  an extension module implemented in C). Edit Modules/Setup (read the
  instructions at the top, search for _tkinter, read more instructions
  there, and follow the instructions) and rebuild and reinstall. Make
  sure to enable the _tkinter module as well as the TKPATH variable
  definition.

Since I don't have a C compiler for my Mac, this isn't an option.
Suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?