Python 3000 -> No, but there's 'Ruby'

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sat Jun 17 17:07:23 EDT 2000

In article <20000617153652.A2727 at dophnic.yi.org>,
Derek Moeller  <moeller at dophnic.yi.org> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 07:50:27PM +0000, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> Y'know, those of you in the Ruby world who make a point of going around
>> trashing other languages are probably doing more to hurt the acceptance
>> of Ruby over the long haul than anything else.  It's *rude*.  I was
>> almost interested enough in Ruby at one point to check it out, but I
>> have to say that the Attitude I've seen so far is even worse than the
>> Perlers.
>
>We seem to harp on the shortcomings of C, C++, Perl, Ruby, and a few
>other languages in c.l.py. Seeing as how this fellow mentioned some
>things that he felt he didn't like about Python, and what he did like
>about Ruby, I can't see the large difference between that and Pythoners
>spieling about their increased productivity compared to C++/C, the
>hairiness of Perl, whatever Ruby's got against it, etc.

It's possible that I'm oversensitive to Ruby posts right now due to the
spammed ads that have popped up over the last few weeks.  OTOH, it seems
to me that there's a fundamental difference between extolling the
virtues of Python in a Python newsgroup and extolling the virtues of
Ruby in a Python newsgroup.

>Now, I can't say I agree with posting that bit about Ruby as a follow-up to
>mentioning Python-3k, as this was not what the original poster asked for.

Yes, and that's exactly the kind of thing some Ruby people have been
doing for a while.  I'd feel exactly the same if someone posted a
message requesting help with text processing and another person followed
up with a message saying that Python would never be good at text
processing and Perl was the only way to go.  That goes triple if there
were a pattern of it.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste." --Steve Jobs
(From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)