Print formatting - same line printing?

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 4 15:20:32 EDT 2000

"Bablos" <angband at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 13:16:42 +0200, Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote;
> > Bablos wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a way that I can get Python to print this all on the same
> > > line, so that it looks as if the line is being updated constantly, as
> > > opposed to having a ridiculously long list of 'uploaded...' lines?
> >
> > For unix you could just write:
> >
> > print "\ruploaded",x,"bytes",
>
> This is buffered on the Amiga, I assume.  I see very infrequent
> updates, so I assume it saves up a large number of print statements
> and then flushes them when it reaches a certain size.  Irmen?
>
> But hey, at least '\v' works for me.  If it's all so very platform
> dependant, surely it would be wise to standardise it somehow to
> maintain some form of standard method?

Because I suspect the behaviour common to all the platforms that
Python runs on is so restricted as to be useless.

Can curses do Win32?  There's slang too, isn't there?

character-mode-neophyte-ly y'rs
M.

--
  In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts
  from many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising