Does Python help with the no-Unix handicap?

mkx at excite.com mkx at excite.com
Mon Jun 12 01:07:02 EDT 2000

In many Perl vs. "other scripting language" discussions, I have often
seen Perlers state that those who dislike Perl's syntax and structure
are often non-Unix types, and thus are not used to common Unix
concepts. And, since Perl was born as a Unix admin tool, us "Windows
types" will likely be lost.

Well, I freely admit that I have little-to-no Unix/Linux experience,
and that I primarily use Windows in my profession, and even at home.
Since there is no 12-step program for this condition yet, I must push
on.

After learning and experimenting with Perl on WinNT for a while, I
began to understand the concept stated above. While I could understand
most of the examples I came across, sometimes that understanding came
with great effort. Any increase in productivity using Perl in place of
some my other programming tools would only come after a great deal of
effort and trial-and-error educaton.

So, I come now to Python. After reading much about it's ease of use
and readability advantages, I see it may be a better alternative. In
most cases, I can actually get a concept of what the code is doing,
without picking up a reference book - after only a week of
experimentation.

So my question is this: Is Python a more "Windows-friendly" language?
Is it's base structure less related to any one specific operating
system? Is learning Python an exercise in learning the language, and
not a Unix tutorial? Can I be successful even if I do not use Unix ;)
?

[No offense to the Perl-types. Just looking for opinions.]