Questions about Installer/Builder/Standalone

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Jun 29 19:44:05 EDT 2000

Mike Callahan wrote:

>I tried this but it did not work:
>
>1. I copied and pasted runTk.py to the top of my script.
>2. I ran simple.py to generate a proper Install_xxx.exe

In which case your xxx.exe already runs runTk.py automatically, but running
it twice shouldn't hurt.

>3. I ran the install_xxx.exe and got the tk folder, the xxx.exe and the
>support files. The tk folder is at c:\xxx\tk
>4. I moved everything into a new test folder on a different machine with
>the tk folder under the test folder ie. c:\test\tk.
>5. I double click on xxx.exe and nothing happens.

If you pick up the entire installation directory tree, it should work.
Nothing about the install gets magically remembered - it's all based on
"where am I" at run time.

>I thought that if I moved the tk folder to the same relative position,
>directly under the main folder, and I ran runTk first that my app would
>use the tk at c:\test\tk. Is installutils.installCArchive() doing more
>than simply unpacking?

No.

>From your description, I can't tell what's going wrong. It's a pain, but I
suggest you rebuild setting the debug flag on, and turning userunw off
(both in the [MYSTANDALONE] section). Then go through your process. You'll
get a DOS box and debugging messages when you try it.

- Gordon