Copyright Notice in Commercial Software

t_e_sanders at my-deja.com t_e_sanders at my-deja.com
Thu Jun 1 19:24:52 EDT 2000

Howdy. I'm interested in using Python within a commercial software
package. Python's license seems to be really good about this, but I
have a question about the copyright notice:

> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
> provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
> that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
> supporting documentation...

Do the terms of Python's distribution license require me to allow other
users to copy and distribute my software? I would guess not, but
inclusion of this notice in my package explicitly states so. There's
obviously something I'm missing, (one of the downsides of being a
developer, rather than a lawyer? :) Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks much,
Thomas Sanders
t.e.sanders at usa.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/