boolean true and false values.

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jun 27 23:00:12 EDT 2000

Albert Hofkamp wrote:

> Until now, I like the basic idea of Python of variables not having a type, but
> I don't really see the advantage.

The flexibility it offers seems to help with rapid prototyping.
You can change part of your design easily without having to
wear yourself out convincing the compiler that you know what
you're doing.

Perhaps there is a middle ground. G++ has an extension called
a "signature", which can be used to describe a type in terms
of the methods it supports. This seems to be a lot like the
notion of type that Python programmers think about. Perhaps a
static type system for Python 3000 could be based on
something like that?

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,