Newbie Questions

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Mon Jun 5 10:51:09 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 02:34:24PM +0000, arun_rajappa at my-deja.com wrote:

> i've been working with python for the last week and have gone through
> the tutorial by guido. i have a few questions, and hope i will find
> help and enlightenment here... ~~ :-)

> a) Does Python support multi-threading ?

Yes.

> What are the thread and threading modules for ?

Multi-threading :-) the 'thread' module is the low-level thread interface,
whereas the threading module is a higher-level, more object-oriented,
Java-inspired (I do believe) interface. Threading is fairly basic, however,
and not very widely available (partly because not all platforms support
(proper) threading, and partly because it has to be explicitly enabled by
whoever compiles Python, on the target machine.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>