TABs (was: Waffling between Python and Ruby)

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 20 10:29:42 EDT 2000

Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se> writes:

> On 20-Jun-00 Just van Rossum wrote:
>  >  (Due to historic narrowmindedness, a point is the same as a pixel under
>  >  MacOS, no matter what physical resolution the display has; I believe
>  >  Windows has (had?) the same problem, except that a pixel is 72/96th
>  >  points...)
>
> Erm, isn't a pt as in 10 pt font the typographic unit 1/72 inch?

Well, sort of; the thing is the software doesn't know how big your
monitor is physically, so can't work out what's it's own dpi is.
You'd think a task as simple as "draw something this size" would be
pretty simple after fifty years of computing, but you'd be wrong...

Cheers,
M.
(who's spent longer wrestling with this than he'd have liked to)

--
  SCSI is not magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it
  is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and