My wishlist for Python3K

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Thu Jun 8 06:26:19 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 01:47:14AM +0000, Huaiyu Zhu wrote:
> My wishlist for Python3K (This is not to start a flame war):

> 2. Augmentation operators: +=, *=, etc.  Dot operators .*, ./, etc (for
>    numerical computation to distinguish matrix and elementwise operations).

This needn't wait for Py3K, and in fact I'm writing code for this right now,
loosely based on Michael Hudsons' patch and with directions from Michael and
Tim. Given that I'm facing *another* day of almost non-stop meetings, and
hacking Python is a great way to relieve the built-up stress, I'll probably
post a working-but-unfinished patch this weekend or so.

I'm not sure if the patch will get accepted by Guido for 1.6, though, since
it lacks a JPython counterpart. I know some Java but nowhere near enough to
start a hack for something like this. Volunteers, anyone ? ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>