Nth digit of PI

Mike Mccarty Sr jmccarty at sun1307.ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Wed Jun 7 13:45:20 EDT 2000

In article <pcon1kylmzg.fsf at math.ntnu.no>,
Harald Hanche-Olsen  <hanche at math.ntnu.no> wrote:
)+ Rajarshi Ray <rajarshi at home.com>:
)
)| Besides the gee-whiz aspect of such algorithms, do they have any
)| value?
)
)They appear to have considerable entertainment value.  And, for some
)reason I could never fathom, every new supercomputer ever made is
)supposed to crank out ever more digits of pi to prove their worth.

[snip]

The computation of PI to a large number of digits is an excellent
*test* of the computer. Has nothing to do with computing PI per se.
--
----