How to sell Python ( and OpenSoruce )

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jun 22 13:02:58 EDT 2000

In article <03bf34ab.667a04d2 at usw-ex0105-040.remarq.com>,
RickZ  <rzantowNOrzSPAM at usa.net.invalid> wrote:

>I'd like to get my employer to add Python to its "approved" list of
>development tools, too. But which Python? It's an extra handicap to
>say, "Well, the language now is changing constantly in ways that will
>potentially break what we develop now. And I am not at all sure what it
>will look like at this time next year. But it's a great language!"

There were very few breaks from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2; the total time from
1.5.1 to 1.6 will be around three years.  Consider what other software
upgrades in that time caused breakage.  Note, too, that the majority of
code-breaking changes were already deprecated before 1.6 development
started.

I don't think this is a big issue, in the end.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"This is Usenet.  We're all masturbating in public places."  -DH