Python Productivity over C++

Frank V. Castellucci frankc at colconsulting.com
Fri Jun 9 07:14:26 EDT 2000

Christian Tanzer wrote:

> stevemul at ozemail.com.au (Steve Mullarkey) wrote:
> [snip]
>
> There are lots of reasons. The ones first springing to my mind are:
>
> - The tools you mention notwithstanding, C++ still forces you to write
>   lots of low-level code by hand (e.g., memory management, the
>   `orthodox canonical class form').
>
> - C++ doesn't offer any means of meta-programming. If you want to add
>   some mechanism (like serialization, introspection, ...) to a class
>   hierarchy, you'll have to add member functions to every class in the
>   hierarchy. In Python you can implement the complete mechanism in the
>   root class of the hierarchy.

This is crap:

1. There are gc, SmartPointer, heap management, etc. class libraries out
there.

2. There is the type information in standard conforming compilers.

3. There is, has been, and will be more, C++ class Class libraries which
are powerful, easy to use, and free. I was using NIHs Class class about
5 years ago.

Define 'orthodox canonical class form'

> - Incremental compiling/linking doesn't help when you need to refactor
>   your product or want to add a mechanism to a class hierarchy. In
>   that case, you might have to wait a long time for the product to be
>   recompiled and linked. In Python, you might be able to pull the
>   change into the running application.

I agree with this truth.

> [snip]

People, we should all be realistic. I have seen so many language
assertions that are unfounded or un-reasearched that the credibility of
the author goes in the toilet with my urine.

--
Frank V. Castellucci
http://corelinux.sourceforge.net