can python do this?

Jason it at onestopent.com.au
Tue Jun 13 01:49:40 EDT 2000

hi all
i am very new to python and was wondering if it was capable of doing to the
following and if so..how?
the following is an example of what i need to strip and turn into a tab
delimited file..
the entries are from a music database that is updated weekly..it is in lotus
notes so i export from there and it dumps this file out with the new titles
for the coming week (here the 19th June)....
i only need to get the rows with the double astericks at the start (i put
those in for this post, they are not there in the normal file) and then
strip the words at the start and then put a tab in between them so i can
bring it into excel for the sales team to look at .... i would need a first
row to desribe each column also maybe something like
Title tab Artist tab Cat no tab APN etc etc
the tracklisting is a little more complicated as it has multiple tracks
within the row..they are seperated by commas....
i think that it won't be that hard but i had no success in rebol so i
thought i might try python...

thanks in advance
jason

FORM:  Popular Recording
CMTYPESWITCH:  Popular
RELOCORIGINAL:  55864A2603AC94ACCA2568F200224388
CMCOUNTRY_ORIGIN:
CMGENRE_CODE:
**CPTITLE:  INFINITE POSSIBILITIES
**CPARTIST:  AMEL LARRIEUX
CPOARTISTS:
**CMCATNUMBER:  4948792
**CMAPN:  9399700067507
**CMARIAPRICECODE:  C9921
**CMARIAMEDIACODE:  21
**CMARIADISTRIBUTORCODE:  SMA
CMARIAPACKAGECODE:
**DMRELEASE:  19/06/2000
cMDateFormat:  19/06/2000 12:00:00 AM
DMDELETE:
cMDeleteStatus:  No
**CMLISTPTRACKS:  GET UP,I N I,SWEET MISERY,SEARCHIN' FOR MY SOUL,EVEN
IF,INFINITE POSSIBILITES,SHINE,DOWN,WEATHER,MAKE ME WHOLE,GET UP (THREAD HAD
FUN MAIN MI,GET UP (MV MIG MIX (RADIO))
CMLISTPARTISTS:  ,,,,,,,,,,,
RELOCMEDIA:  F73C80183A01A8D7CA2568F2002A5517
**CURMPRICE:  15.91
**CMTYPE:  Compact Disc
CMRECORDCOMPANY:  SONY MUSIC
CMPACKAGE:
CMARIADISTRIBUTORHOUSECODE:
cDistributorHouse:
CMLOCALE:  Y
$UpdatedBy:  CN=PPT/OU=AEROS/O=JUKEBOX
$Revisions:  02/06/2000 05:42:22 PM,02/06/2000 05:42:22 PM