Python in home automation

Frank Steele fsteele at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 15 13:53:37 EDT 2000

I'm beginning to think about extending the home network to include some
simple home automation/X10 functions. I've started looking around at
products and software, and even went so far as to pick up the latest
copy of <A HREF="http://www.tpj.com">The P*&l Journal</A>, which has a
lengthy story on <A HREF="http://www.misterhouse.net">MisterHouse</A>.

MisterHouse is a cross-platform system, all in P*&l, that allows voice
and web control of X10 components, and uses text-to-speech to
communicate alerts to the home occupants.

Here's the problem/question -- if it's my system, I don't want it in
P*&l. I would prefer to stick to the Python world. Unfortunately, in a
quick sweep through the Vaults of Parnassus, The Daily-URL,
Python.FAQts, and the O'Reilly Python dev-center, I don't see any
modules, extensions, or projects on this.

So, is anyone aware of Python modules or extensions to do X10 home
automation? I'm interested hearing about them on _any_ platform, but I
intend to implement on Linux and MacOS....

Thanks,
  Frank
  fsteele at mindspring.com