rld failure on IRIX

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 07:24:30 EDT 2000

Paul Soper:
 |After building Numerical Python 15.3 and MMTK 2.0 on IRIX 6.46 without any
 |errors during the 'build' or 'install' steps, both packages generate error
 |messages like the following;
 |
 |ImportError: 135737:python: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname
 |'/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/MMTK/irix646/MMTK_universe.so' under
 |any of
 |the filenames
 |/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/MMTK/irix646/MMTK_universe.so
 |
 |The file referred to does exist and has all of its permissions set
 |correctly.  Why is the dynamic linker upset?

I'm going to guess mismatched binary architectures:

> file /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/MMTK/irix646/MMTK_universe.so
> file /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Numeric/multiarray.so
> file `which python`

These should all agree.  For example, the following indicates a problem:

MMTK_universe.so: ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic lib MIPS - version 1
multiarray.so:    ELF N32 MSB mips-3 dynamic lib MIPS - version 1
python:           ELF N32 MSB mips-3 dynamic executable (not stripped) MIPS - version 1
                      ^^^^^^

Use $SGI_ABI or $COMPILER_DEFAULTS_PATH to set your architecture flag
preference [see abi(5) and pe_environ(5) for more details, or feel free to
drop me a line if you have questions].

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com