Rude question about BeOpen.com

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Jun 18 14:45:55 EDT 2000

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 12:45:02PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 05:47:15PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > > How will the move of the Python crew to a commercial venture affect the
> > > Computer Programming For Everybody (CP4E) project?

> > Q. 7. What is happening to CP4E (Computer Programming for Everybody)?

> > A. We love this project and are looking for industry sponsors to help us
> >    expand this multi-disciplinary work to include educators and usability
> >    experts. Contact sponsor at beopen.com if you are interested.

> OK, but that doesn't answer my question.
> It seems then that the attempt to obtain US government funding for CP4E
> has been abandoned, and therefore that there is no upcoming funding
> decision to be made (possibly could have elicited an answer of "no" from
> them). True or false?

I'm not sure on the status, but I dont think it the attempts to find funding
been 'abandoned' -- they might've been fruitless, but I doubt Guido and the
other people involved in CP4E would reject government funding. Indeed, I
read the FAQ entry as 'any funding would be more than welcome.' I cant give
you definitive answers on these issues, though, you might have to wait for
Guido to come back (or ask a more CP4E-targeted platform, like the EDU-SIG)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>