Rude question about BeOpen.com

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Jun 18 17:20:05 EDT 2000

[posted & mailed]

[Nicholas Geovanis]
> It seems then that the attempt to obtain US government funding for
> CP4E has been abandoned,

It did get some govt (DARPA) funding, but not enough to get very far.  Last
I heard from Guido, he figured it had a better chance of attracting adequate
funding by expanding the net beyond govt sources.  The move to BeOpen can't
be viewed as negative from that viewpoint.

> and therefore that there is no upcoming funding decision to be made
>(possibly could have elicited an answer of "no" from them). True or
> false?

Yes or no <wink -- but I can't parse your question, although perhaps that's
because it's based on a faulty assumption:  all funding decisions that were
to be made have already been made>.

> I need to know because I need to forward the information to a local
> school.

Can only echo Thomas's suggestion that you ask on the Edu-SIG instead.
Guido is recovering from his honeymoon now, and answering a CP4E question
may get him back in tune with reality <wink>.

honeymoons-for-everyone-would-have-been-more-popular-ly y'rs  - tim