Python in home automation

B Griggs bgriggs at pobox.com
Wed Jun 28 01:15:40 EDT 2000

Frank, all,

I responded to your initial message  (name was munged up - sorry.)  I am
very interested in Python home automation.  I have received a CM11A
controller and should be receiving a CM17A any day now.  I read the Mr.
House article in The Perl Journal and was intrigued.  You can do some pretty
neat stuff with X10.

I did some research and found Scott's XAL.  The thing that bothered me was
it is written in C and the X10 lib needs to be compiled natively before the
Python wrappers can be used.  The source is currently written to compile
under Unix, not Windows.  Not a problem in and of itself, but useless to me.

The question is- is it worthwhile to write this in Python.  Does it become
more portable.  I think so.  The only real challenge I see is serial access.
It seems as though each platform implements its' own serial support under
Python.  I believe 2 packages exist for Windows, for example.

Has anyone done any cross-platform dev in areas such as this?  In C we would
use IFDEFs.  I assume the best construct to handle the serial problem would
be simple conditional statements in Python?   More to the point, does anyone
know of a Python serial package that supports all Python platforms
magically?

Les - would love to have a look at your work.  If possible, email it.

I would like to have a go at writing a CM17A control class.  It would be the
simplest since the firecracker unit is not bi-directional.   The problem is
that once I am done I will have a class that supports Windows only.

I think I need to investigate how Perl has solved the serial support
cross-platform.  Am I missing something here?  Does Python provide some
magical serial support I am unaware of?

news:slrn8kvrup.ld1.kain at cableadmin.com...