Nth digit of PI

Dik T. Winter Dik.Winter at cwi.nl
Thu Jun 8 10:30:04 EDT 2000

In article <bivnjsoq0amb8qjmqtgkbfjsl2df2n2tta at 4ax.com> urner at alumni.princeton.edu writes:
 > Recent number theory breakthrough:  you can get the
 > nth digit of PI without doing all the work needed
 > to compute all the digits up to the nth digit (same
 > with some other numbers -- not sure if we know all
 > the relevant criteria as to which).

I checked the pages and have to make a correction here.  There is no such
claim.  The only claim is that it can be done without using much memory.
As one of the referred pages says:
  "we have not found a faster algorithm, nor have we proven that one does
  not exist."
Se essentially the amount of work is still the same, but the memory
requirents are smaller.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland; http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/