Carrage Returns and Tabs in Windows Applications

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sat Jun 24 01:22:03 EDT 2000

jelizondo at my-deja.com wrote:

>Actually I may have worded my original message a little bit wrong.
>Basicly what I'm wondering is if there is a way to automate a series of
>commands in a windows application using python. For example.
>
>os.system(<program> <file>)
>
>then using python to automate a series of commands, sort of like batch
>and/or script file.

If you are trying to automate Windows applications, you have a hard row to
hoe.  However, it can be done.  There is enough of the Windows API in
win32all that you could use SendMessage to send WM_CHAR messages to an
application.  It's a pain, but it's possible.

Alternatively, if it is a popular commercial application, it may even have
a COM interface.  COM interfaces can be controlled from Python without too
much trouble.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.