OT: spaces in filenames

Neil Schemenauer nascheme at enme.ucalgary.ca
Fri Jun 9 17:22:36 EDT 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>I strongly recommend one deviation from the defaults, though:
>when it asks for the Python installation directory, force it to
>"c:\python15" (where "c:\" is the root of his boot drive, almost
>certainly exactly "c:\"). The default is some monster with
>embedded spaces in its name, and that just makes life harder.

This is something that pissed me off about Windows 95.  Microsoft
just had to show off their new feature allowing spaces in
filenames by putting a space in one of the most important
directory names on the system.  Unix has allowed weird characters
in filenames for ages.  Just because you can do it doesn't mean
its a good idea.  I wonder how much time has been wasted
worldwide because Microsoft did not call "Program Files"
"Programs".

    Neil

--
"Reliability means never having to say you're sorry." -- D. J. Bernstein