[Human] Lanaguage translation

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sun Jun 4 12:34:52 EDT 2000

Hello

Does anyone have any ideas for language translation using Python?

There are on-line tools such as Babelfish and off-line software such as
'Unversal Language Translator 2000'[win32 -it's quite nice] etc.

I am looking for someway to script language engines like these off-line and
on-line, ideally some linux or cross-platform solution, but Win32 is ok for
now and near-term.

I have only just started doing research on this, so I may be overlooking
some obvious tools, but it appears that moset are stand-alone manual
applications which do not permit invisible automated remote-control via
scripts [Python modules] etc.

Also is there is any Python-based engines I could use directly?
 I would have thought that Python dictionaries, persistent objects like
ZOZDB could be idea for this job.

My immediate target is for European Languages. For both web and CD-ROM or
kiosk sintallations.
In developing for E-commerce in Mediterranean we are finding typically young
people (<30> often understand/read Egnlsih very well, but may or may not
speak it or write it. Richer kids tend to, because of more chance to travel
and spend time in UK etc. People over the age of 30, if they are
well-educated, may also understand and quite often speak or write well well,
but there are many business people and non-white collar jobs where the
English level is quite poor.  Thus we suspect a major obstacle is perhaps
lack of sufficient diversity of language. In email with European colleagues
the lack of response suggests same problems.. I note that many people
globally have a high-level of technical english reading, but may be lost in
conversation. This is very impressive to me

I personally note that looking at web-sites in a foreign language can be
extremely disturbing. Many web sites are so chock full of flashing heads and
subheads in columns and abreviated links, that one's mind-eye cannot rapidly
tell what is important - it is hard to 'scan the page and set mental
priorities ast the speed the page is designed for. In one's own naticve
lanaguage [English for me] cluttered or busy pages are manageable. Good
design is good design in any lanaguage.

I recently did an adhoc test visiting french and italian travel sites...
many tourist sites do have multilanguage buttons though not ubiquitous
pages. It seems to me that body of text to read is one not really the
issue - I am talking about labels, headings, buttons, site structure - often
single word noun/verb/functions and group identifiers.. These are the core
tools for web site navigation nda s recent surveys indicate many human
web-reading eyes may be first drawn to text and not graphics. Hard for me
say as I am a very visually oriented person and respond well to symbol,
images etc. But when it comes to web sites, In a foreign lanaguage I am soon
lost.... I speak French very fluently and amcomfortable reading books,
newspapers, magazines etc, but find websites hard. Yet french email or
newsgroup threads are fine.
I am asking myself why?

I welcome any comments from others about this topic and ways to acheive
dynamic translation with Python.
Thanks

- Jason