Python Productivity over C++

Neurocrat neurocrat at one.net.au
Mon Jun 12 00:37:33 EDT 2000

gmcm at hypernet.com (Gordon McMillan) writes:

[snip]

> One point worth reiterating is that where the app (in a C++ design) calls
> for lots of related classes, you will probably only have a handful in
> Python. Of course, this means discarding classical "OOP" thinking, and
> desinging more in the "component" style. But this can yield an order of
> magnitude all by itself.

If it's worth reiterating, would you mind elaborating on this
somewhat?

I've been using C++ and Eiffel for a few years, but I've recently
started experimenting with Lisp and Python. (Lisp has been the biggest
eye-opener of all, but that's another story). In Python, I've found an
immediate productivity increase, but I'm still too new to the language
to know exactly why.

My first impression is that its dynamic typing, uncluttered syntax and
ample built-in types encourages more "natural" designs. It makes
coding easier and more fun (which is important to me). Even as a
newcomer, I feel that I'm using the language with more pleasure and
confidence rather than carefully paying attention to all its
idiosyncracies (C++) or forcing my design to fit the paradigm
("classical OO" / Eiffel). I find that Python translates thought into
code without too much fuss, and virtually no linguistic cruft. But is
there more to it than that?

What is it about Python that encourages the "component" style you
described?