Why not a Python Package Manager

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Thu Jun 8 04:06:20 EDT 2000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Pete Shinners wrote:

> > I agree. I agree with 'something like Debian' so much I think dpkg and
> > friends is pretty much the way to go. Why not completely use the debian
> > package manager?
>
> don't leave us windows users out in the cold!
> i'm not sure of the window'y'ness of the debian packages,
> but perhaps dpkg can be applied to many platforms?

Debian is a "Universal Operating System". Debian GNU/Hurd is a development
project (but then again, so is Hurd), Debian GNU/FreeBSD is an idea that's
definitely floating around, and Debian GNU/Solaris and GNU/NT have been
thrown out in the open. There's no reason dpkg *won't* work on Solaris,
and it would actually be cool to have a good, upgradable OS on the Solaris
kernel (yes, some of us actually have to work with that kernel). The NT
case is a bit harder, since NT doesn't have a concept like "/", but as
long as you map "/" to "wherever windows was installed:\", you can just
use the normal Debian setup. The big question here is the compiler used --
it wouldn't be that easy.

debian-GNU/Red Hat Linux-anyone?-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html