Why not a Python Package Manager

Shae Erisson shapr at uab.edu
Wed Jun 7 18:49:40 EDT 2000

Pete Shinners wrote:

> maybe a step towards what Debian has with its DEB packages?
>
> some sort of python central library with all packages
> in a standard environment. there would be precompiled
> packages for maintained architectures and/or source.
> each package would list its dependencies
>
> it would then be trivial to download and choose which
> python packages you wanted since they could automatically
> take care of their dependencies.
>
> after downloading source and creating the module
> (with distutils in 1.6) you could have the option
> to submit that module back to the repository as a
> precompiled version for your architecture?
>
> heh, anyways just a wild idea that struck me.
> likely a lot of work, but then again definitely
> worth the investment it seems.
>
> now i need someone to get inspired and make it happen :]

I agree. I agree with 'something like Debian' so much I think dpkg and
friends is pretty much the way to go. Why not completely use the debian
package manager?

If you're running Debian, try apt-get install dpkg-python
It's old code (1997 I think), but I think it would be a start for a
CPyAN.
I think that the current maintainer of dpkg-python has moved it to
sourceforge, not sure.

The idea of a Python CPAN has come up before, I think it was decided the
distutils-sig got to deal with that problem.
--
sHae mAtijs eRisson (sHae at wEbwitchEs.coM) gEnius fOr hIre
   bRing mE fIve sQuirrels aNd nO oNe wIll gEt hUrt