Cycles (was RE: Python Productivity over C++)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri Jun 9 14:09:38 EDT 2000

[Drew Csillag]
> Good point.  But there are actually two cycle detectors (one may or may
> not be derived from the other) that I know of: plumbo and Cyclops (I've
> used both).  I believe (I may be totally wrong on this) that one of them
> will be included with 1.6.

Cyclops started as an attempt to give plumbo a serious speed boost, but
quickly diverged.  Both require manual setup and some expertise, and
Cyclop's larger set of "features" makes it that much more intimidating at
first.

Neither will be included with 1.6, AFAIK.  There's still reason to hope that
NeilS's GC patch will be, albeit perhaps that enabling it will require
setting a compile flag at Python build time.

running-in-circles-ly y'rs  - tim