Python Productivity over C++

James C. Ahlstrom jim at interet.com
Tue Jun 13 14:53:12 EDT 2000

Steve Mullarkey wrote:

> 1. What productivity increase do you achieve ?

I get 3 to ten times productivity increase.

> 2. How long did you use Python before you achieved increased
> productivity ?

Maybe six months.

IMHO, the increase is mostly due to the higher-level
language constructs.  That is, Python has dictionaries and
lists, and so it is more likely a programmer will use
the correct algorithm in Python, rather than suffer through
having to program his own dicts and lists in C.  So the
productivity gain is largest for programs which really
do need dicts and lists.  If the Python resembles plain
low level C, I would not expect as much gain.

Relative to C++, Python is a simpler OO language to learn
and use.

Jim Ahlstrom