How to sell Python ( and OpenSoruce )

David N. Welton davidw at linuxcare.com
Tue Jun 20 07:56:45 EDT 2000

thomas at cintra.no (Thomas Weholt) writes:

> My mission is to swap expensive, oversized databases solutions like
> MS SQL 7.0 with PostgreSQL 7.0, crappy inconsistent script-languages
> like VBScript with Python and MS SiteServer / IIS with Zope, Linux
> with Windows 2000/ NT 4.0. I argue that the load on the system will
> never be to great for PostgreSQL to handle as supposed to MS
> SQL-server, VBScript, it sucks and they agree to that, Linux instead
> of Windows will save lots of cash, so will the "reduced" cost of
> PostgreSQL instead of MS SQL 7.0.

> The scenario above is normal in my experience, and I`d appreciate
> any feedback from people with similar ideas. Related Case-studies
> would also help alot.

Yes, you are correct.  Thousands of people are using similar setups.

> The thing is that these people don`t thrust OpenSource. They laugh
> at script-languages in general, and the idea of sharing code is even
> more stupid.

If worst comes to worst, there are a lot of other people looking to
employ people with open source coding skills who will appreciate your
knowledge;-)

> I need selling points for OpenSource, the idea and philosophy,
> examples of successful technology and eh .. moral support. I feel
> like I`m in the lions den right now. ( " Think of a happy
> place. Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean ..." )

Well, www.opensource.org is a good place to start.

There is some stuff on our site that mibht be helpful, WRT to case
studies, and corporate support for Open Source.  For example:

http://www.linuxcare.com/linux-business/case-for-linux/articles.epl

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton, Responsabile Progetti Open Source, Linuxcare Italia spa
tel +39.049.8043411 fax +39.049.8043412 cel +39.348.2879508