Questions about Installer/Builder/Standalone

Mike Callahan mcalla at home.com
Mon Jun 26 18:53:09 EDT 2000

I am playing with Gordon McMillan's Installer 0.3f for Windows and have
gotten it to work using freeze, simple, and standalone with non-Tkinter
apps. Good job Gordon! I can make a Tkinter app using simple but I cannot
get it to work using standalone. I know that simple does some magic to get
the app to use the local Tk it installs and Gordon talks about it in the
docs. But I cannot figure out what the magic is. I want to put every thing
into a single directory and then use Install Shield to make a nice install
program.

I did discover the stand-alone Python method for Windows that Neil
Schemenauer invented, (Thanks, Neil) but I like the fact that Installer puts
all the app code into a single file instead of copying the entire python
library to the install directory. I could live with it, however...

So in a nutshell, has anyone figured out a way to get Installer 0.3f to put
all the files into a single install directory including the Tk stuff that
Install Shield could use? Thanks.

Mike Callahan