Why whitespace denotation of blocks doesn't work.

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sat Jun 17 20:10:48 EDT 2000

In article <39520785.690843718 at nntp.interaccess.com>,
Thaddeus L. Olczyk <olczyk at interaccess.com> wrote:

>The point is not that I can copy and paste with out reindenting.
>The point is that sometimes I have to. let me show a generic example
>
>if a:
>   for b in B:
>      if c(b):
>          block statement.
>
>Assume that you are editing another part and you realise that you
>are about to essentially retype the block statement. So you do
>
>def fun():
>  block statement
>
>if a:
>   for b in B:
>      if c(b):
>           fun()
>you have to reindent the block statement. This is not copy and paste
>reuse. It is cut and paste refactoring, and you have to reindent.

Sure.  But if you're Doing It Right, you'd have to do that for any other
language; Python simply *forces* you to do it.  While it's sometimes a
PITA for debug code, I think the consistent readability is worth it.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste." --Steve Jobs
(From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)