PyOpinion: Does Python Programming Marginalize You?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Jun 6 17:38:54 EDT 2000

claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
> gramming is with Java.  Personally, rather
> than write full-blown Java applets, I write
> tiny little methods that do atomic network
> operations, and count on JavaScript as a
> display method.  Incidentally, that's my only

Indeed.  I'm responsible for the JPython applet for controlling the
remote microscope, and it's been dissatisfying enough that I'm looking
hopefully at Mozilla, with the idea of writing a microscope client as
a set of Mozilla chrome, triggering actions on the server through
XML-RPC or HTTP.  The major stumbling block isn't a language-related
one, but rather that there's no open standard for a streaming video
format.

  "Imagine a world without a fixed point."
  "I can -- your mother's dead."
  -- Storey and Philip, in Peter Greenaway's _8 1/2 Women_ (1999)