Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 18:04:00 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8jlm1j.bkc.wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net>,
wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net (William Tanksley) wrote:

> >Great. Ever maintain anybody else's code?
>
> Are you trying to insult me?  Or are you trying to make some kind of
> point?  If the latter, you have no idea what my experience level is, so
> communicate your argument you'll have to explain yourself more
> completely.

I'm saying that /I/ write code that's easily maintainable in whatever
language, I expect /you/ write code that's easily maintainable in whatever
language, but when we're confronted with code that third parties have
written it more often than not is /not/ easily maintainable. I consider it
a highly desirable feature of a language if it makes it harder to write
unmaintainable code.

> *My* point is that Python's job is to make it possible to write really
> good-looking code.  It's my job, as the programmer or employer, to
> prevent
> bad-looking code.

I'm not in the fortunate position of always being able to control the
third-party code I have to work with.

> >> Take a lesson from the people complaining about Python's
> > indentation: one
> >> of the leading false accusations is that it's inflexible, that it
> > won't
> >> allow people to choose thier own indentation.
>
> >Lesson taken. I won't give any credence to those who complain about
> case >sensitivity on the same grounds.
>
> But this mythical person complaining about case-sensitivity is
> *correct*;
> Python truly *is* case-sensitive.

And Python truly *does* let one choose the indentation level.