Mathematica and python 1.5

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Jun 4 06:09:42 EDT 2000

Poul-Erik Hansen wrote:

> I need help in interfacing Mathematica 4 and python
> 1.5 via pyml. When I try to compile the makefile for
> pyml I get the following error message
> "arrayobject.h: No such file or directory".
> I have tried to play round
> with the makefile but without any succes.

arrayobject.h part of the source code for Python.
Developers of extensions sometimes forget to mention
whether you'll need the Python source tree to compile
their extensions.  Since you have Python and pyml is
complaining, I would guess that you downloaded a
binary version or Python or that Python came with your
machine or OS.  If you're a Linux user, there are
usually separate "package" and a "package-devel" packages
or languages like Python.  The first lets you use Python,
the second lets you develop/compile extensions that
require various header files and such.

The easiest solution may be to download the Python
sources from www.python.org.  You could even get the
new Python 1.6 sources and make sure that pyml still
works with 1.6. :)

Good luck.

---Tom