Tkinter integration of external Tk widget

Chris Weichenberger x_beelze at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:25:57 EDT 2000

 Hello everybody,

I have the very special problem that some time ago I have written a Tk widget
that displays molecules interactively which should now be ported to Python
using the Tkinter API. The widget is pure C code and this task seems to be
everything else but straight forward. I had a look at the _tkinter.c and the
Tkinter.py sources and finally investigated the port of Tix to Python.
Clearly, a wrapper based on the 'Widget' class has to be written but my main
concern is how to (dynamically) link the Tk widget .so library to the existing
Tkinter library? As far as I understood the Tix approach, one has to recompile
the package. Is there any way to circumvent this? Ideally, I am searching for
something likes Tk's 'load' function. I already unsuccessfully checked FAQs.
Is there anybody who can help me with that problem?

 Thanks in advance,

    _Chris