Help with SSL in 1.6

Johannes Stezenbach yawyi at gmx.de
Fri Jun 2 17:21:07 EDT 2000

Joseph Santaniello <joseph at src.no> wrote:
>I've just built OpenSSL and Python 1.6a for the express purpose of being
>able to use urlopen or similar to grab some ssl web-pages. But I can't get
>it to work. I get name errors when I try to use HTTPS or anything it seems
>because the "if hasattr(socket, "ssl"):" condition never seems to be
>true. And urlopen says https is an unknown protocol. What have I missed in
>setting this up so that I can grab ssl pages?

configure doesn't seem to test for OpenSSL.
You must edit Modules/Setup manually (copy from Setup.in,
if necessary):

- comment out:
#socket socketmodule.c  # socket(2); not on ancient System V

- uncomment and set proper path:
# Socket module compiled with SSL support; you must edit the SSL variable:
SSL=/usr
socket socketmodule.c \
        -DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
                -L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

Johannes