Nth digit of PI

Rajarshi Ray rajarshi at home.com
Tue Jun 6 20:40:36 EDT 2000

Kirby Urner wrote:

> Rajarshi Ray <rajarshi at home.com> wrote:
>
> >Besides the gee-whiz aspect of such algorithms, do they have any value?
> >After all, what makes pi pi is ALL of its digits in a particular
> >sequence.
>
> Supposedly there were some deep points about number
> theory in this vicinity -- according to the web pages
> anyway.  I'm no expert.

Ah, that's what I wanted to hear. The importance of this discovery is
then what makes pi amenable to such a calculation, and also if other
transcendental numbers can be treated like this e.g. 'e'.

Don't you just hate presumptuous bastards like Ullrich who will jump
your gun without even considering if you actually have a point?? Perhaps
you should be glad you're a non-expert; the more expert you get, it
seems the more of a pompous ass you become too.

--
Sir, I have found you an argument. I am not obliged to find you
an understanding.

                                               - Samuel Johnson