SV: Python Productivity over C++

Michal Vitecek M.Vitecek at sh.cvut.cz
Wed Jun 14 09:05:08 EDT 2000

Hung Jung Lu <hungjunglu at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>From: Michal Vitecek <M.Vitecek at sh.cvut.cz>
>> >    if ( a = getNumber() ) {...}
>>  i have no idea why you call this a stupid feature - IMO this all makes
>>  the program shorter and as such more readable. this is really something i
>>  hate about python, missing ++ and -- operators plus having to do the
>>  assignment stupidly before if comment - more & longer source.
>
>Hey, I can recommend you a great language for shorter and notations: Perl.
>:) You've got all your lovely operators there. You are welcome to use it
>instead of Python. :) Why use Python if you've got Perl? :)

 because perl is much less readable - we all know it.

>One thing we have learned from Python and Perl, it's that shorter notations
>are not better. Proper longer notations (not those exaggerated notations
>like in Cobol) are almost self documenting.

 this is highly debatable - properly written C/C++ source is pretty well
 readable and self-documenting. similarly, badly written python source
 makes it as unreadable as in other languages - there's not a point in
 trying to prevent people from writing (un)readable source code.

>Your experience with C++ certainly is highly limited.

 :) one would never know what others are able to find out from a short
 email. i advice you not to be so certain about my C++ experience.

>Do you know that
>Metrowerk compiler by default issues a warning when it encounters
>assignments inside an "if" statement? Now, are you going to tell people in
>Metrowerk that they are dumb, too? :)

 if(a = someFunction()) should generate a warning: 'warning: suggest
 parentheses around assignment used as truth value'

 if((a = someFunction())) shouldn't.

 now - is it you who's the dumb here? :)

>> >C++ programmer get bitten all the time with the == && || operators, and
>> >refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem.
>>
>>    :) maybe C++ programmers like you?
>
>Wow wow, someone trying to lecture me about C++, you've got some guts. I
>pushed out quite a few products distributed worldwide, managed teams of
>programmers with several Ph.D. degree holders. Dear sir, what have you done
>in your life?

 now your nose is so up the sky you should be happy it's not raining.
 i don't see why one should care to fight one another as to who has higher
 experience - it wouldn't change anything at all if your experience is
 better or worse than mine.

>>i personally never had any problem with ==, && and ||,
>
>You are a newbie, and it shows. :)

 again - give out some examples where you or your programmers had troubles
 with ==, && and ||. just smiling, considering me a newbie without knowing
 me and not showing any examples doesn't mark you high.

--
			fuf

 BillGates [bgates at www.microsoft.com] has joined #LINUX
 mode/#linux [+b BillGates!*@*] by DoDad
 BillGates was kicked off #linux by DoDad (banned: We see enough of Bill
          Gates already.)