Which linux distros have Python by default?

Eric Lee Green eric at estinc.com
Wed Jun 14 13:48:50 EDT 2000

Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm going to distribute a utility written in Python/Tkinter as
> a configuration/administration utility that goes with a Linux
> device driver.  I was just wondering how many customers are
> likely to have Python/Tkinter available.  I doubt that anybody
> is going to install Python just to run this program.

Red Hat and Caldera certainly will, since their system administration tools
are written in Python.

But I would strongly suggest using TCL/Tk instead if it is a simple little
configuration program, because I don't know of any Linux distribution that
does not come with TCL/Tk -- amongst other things, 'make xconfig' needs TCL/Tk
in order to work. TCL is brain-dead, but for simple stuff it's usable.

Eric Lee Green                         eric at estinc.com
Software Engineer                      Visit our Web page:
Enhanced Software Technologies, Inc.   http://www.estinc.com/
(602) 470-1115 voice                   (602) 470-1116 fax