Portal-like page using ZOPE

Kaimar Karu kaimar at ut.ee
Wed Jun 28 12:20:32 EDT 2000

Hi,

I'm working on a health education web page. The database for this
page is based on xml (and accessed through XMLDocument). I've created
the interface for displaying the content, and now I have to figure out
how to make the page portal-like.

The users must be able to log in and some of the pages content will
be dynamically created based on the user id. If the visitor has not
logged in, he can still see most of the content, but not all of it.

Besides the difference in content, the user must also be able to
create "bookmarks", which will be stored on the server and displayed
to the user when requested. And more, as there will be tests on the
web page (the idea of the page is to provide health education in
student's mother tongue (Estonian)), the results of these tests must
also be stored on the server.

There can be three types of users.

The first type is the 'ordinary user'. He can log in and have
bookmarks, but he cannot take part in any of the 'classes'.

The second type is the 'teacher'. He has the right to add users, and
these users will be placed 'under him'. He can manage their data and
see the results of their tests, and also the 'teacher' can create an
opening page for the students, where the topics and tests discussed
in the class will be listed. For the class, the teacher should be able
to disable all the other links on the page for the non-distraction.

The third type is the 'student'. This account can be created by the
maintainers of the site or by the 'teacher'. When the 'teacher' has
included the 'student' in a group for the moment, all of the content
which is seen by the 'student' can (but doesn't have to) be managed
by the 'teacher'. When the 'teacher' frees the 'student' from the
group, the content the 'student' sees is much alike the one the
'ordinary user' sees, except that the 'student' has the ability to
check his results and grades, if those are entered by the 'teacher'.

How can I achieve this using Zope?

TIA,