Putting Objects on the Web

Nathan Heagy nathanl at heagy.com
Mon Jun 12 01:45:38 EDT 2000

I have created some classes in Python that I would like to put on the
web. I know how to create a cgi and use them in this way, but I need the
instances of the classes to be persistant so that attributes can be
changed via the web and remembered. Thus I have looked at pickle and
shelve, and they look very good. However I can't help thinking there is
another solution. Ideally I would be able to create a new instance for
each user, created via authentication methods, and each time that user
returned their instances would be remembered. Access to the methods of
the classes could be abstacted (by me) easilly. I have looked at Zope,
but was disappointed because it seemed to only use python methods.
ZPublisher looks very good, but I need some sort of authentication and
permission setting tied in so that users dont access methods they are
not supposed to. Also, I cannot see a way to create multiple instances
of an object with ZPublisher.

I hope this is clear enough (and not too verbose) to be understood.
Perhaps it is too late...

All comments and ideas welcome. I can easilly be more specific if anyone
would like more information.
--
Nathan Heagy