Copyright changes with move from CNRI to BeOpen?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Jun 3 00:44:48 EDT 2000

[Harry Tanovich]
> Will the copyright move to a more GPL style thing now?

The details are still being worked out, but I'll tell you this:  if BeOpen
had showed any sign of wanting to make the Python license materially more
restrictive, I would not have accepted the job there (GPL is fine for many
things, but Python isn't one of them).  To the contrary, the BeOpen
PythonLabs team would like to *reduce* the legal folderol that accreted
under CNRI's tenure.  However, at this precise moment in time, I'm
unemployed, so don't take this as an Official Statement from anyone -- least
of all me <wink>.

if-i-wanted-to-speak-for-myself-i'd-hire-me-ly y'rs  - tim

PS:  Note that the JPython license has always been stiffer than CPython's,
     and that may not be changeable.