Now for the flames...

David Broadwell dbroadwell at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 24 07:02:01 EDT 2000

Ok, now, what else am i doing that really isn't necessary?
   (ie: point out my c hangups, please.)

Ignore the exre print statements, most of those i'll comment out or
otherwise handle. i am looking for actuall programing advice..
specifically on if i have used any non-platform independent stuff.. (so
that when i later migrate to haveing this same file structure that i am
designing my toold for, they will still function.)

# code follows

import os
import sys

output = 'out.txt'
filetype = 'm3u'
directorylist = []
filelist = []

def doit():
    cwd = []
    print 'reading current directory'
    cwd = os.listdir('.')
    print 'building directorylist'
    for item in cwd:
        if (os.path.isdir(item)):
           directorylist.append(item)
    print 'building filelist'
    for item in cwd:
        if (item[(len(item)-3):] == filetype):
           filelist.append(item)
    del cwd
    print 'Checking for subdirectories to check.'
    for item in directorylist:
        print 'subdirectory ' + item + ' found, scanning.'
        os.chdir(item)
        subdir = []
        subdir = os.listdir('.')
        for thing in subdir[:]:
            print thing + ' ',
            if (thing[(len(thing)-3):] == filetype):
               print 'Yup.'
               # join item(path) to file
               # add to filelist
            else:
               print 'Nope.'
               subdir.remove(thing)
        del subdir
        os.chdir('..')

def merge(filelist):
    if (filelist):
       outbuffer=open(output,'w')
       for item in filelist:
           inbuffer=open(item)
           outbuffer.write(inbuffer.read())
           inbuffer.close()
       outbuffer.close()
    else:
       print 'No files to process, Exiting...'
       sys.exit()

doit()
--
        ~We're all fallen angels who've forgotten how to fly~
        Remember how: http://www.cyber-action.com/oed/dbroadwell.html