wishlist Python3K: subclass ints

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jun 8 16:43:30 EDT 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10006082253450.17560-100000 at sundial>,
Moshe Zadka  <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>On 8 Jun 2000, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> Close, but no cigar.  Start with the base class "number".  Then
>> everything else follows: int, float, rational, complex.
>
>Actually, in the number case specifically, I'd go for the
>no-hierarchy-have-a-good-model-optimize-behind-the-covers strategy:

You have a point, but I do still think there should be some sort of
virtual base class behind all numbers.  That way, it's at least clear
what operations should be available in any number class.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"You could make Eskimos emigrate to the Sahara by vigorously arguing --
at hundreds of screens' length -- for the wonder, beauty, and utility of
snow."  -- PNH to rb in r.a.sf.f