Web server executing Python scripts

Steven D. Arnold stevena at neosynapse.net
Fri Jun 30 15:19:02 EDT 2000

At 08:24 PM 6/30/2000 +0200, Pieter Claerhout wrote:

>What do you think would be the best idea?
>- Use whatever webbrowser with CGI-scripting

I would use apache and either CGI or mod-python, more likely the latter.

>- Use MS IIS with ASP (and Python)

IIS is quite probably the most insecure server on the Internet.  In
addition, I don't like the closed nature of the system, I don't trust MS to
introduce the features I want/need (where I can introduce them myself in
Apache), and I don't want to depend on MS's support services to solve
problems that only they can fix because only they have the source.

>- Use Zope to build the whole system?

I don't know enough about Zope to give an answer from personal experience
here.  I've heard many good things about Zope; I've also heard that the
docs are poor and the learning curve steep.  I have faith in the speed and
flexibility of Apache, where (to me) Zope is an unknown in these regards;
are there any benchmarks?

steve

Steven D. Arnold           Que quiero sera         stevena at neosynapse.net
"If you have  built castles in the air, your work  need not be lost; that
is where they should be.  Now put the foundations under them!" -- Thoreau