Newbie Question...

Kalle Svensson karl-sve at dsv.su.se
Wed Jun 7 06:29:25 EDT 2000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Robin Porter wrote:

> I wrote before asking for an example of C code changed to Python code (i.e.
> Payroll example).  Could someone please explain how I go about saving and
> then running the code once I have inputed it in.  I tried entering it into
> the Python GUI and everything looked good until I tried to save it, recall
> it, then run it.

Save it in a plain text file with the extension .py. This can be done in
your favorite text editor, IDLE or PythonWin.
In IDLE, select "New window" from the "File" menu, enter your Python
program in the new window and then choose "Save As" from the "File" menu.
Then you can run it in the preferred way of your platform, i.e. double
click on it or invoke it from the command line.

> My apoligies for such a basic question.  This language looks great...I am
> anxious to learn how to use it.

No problem. There's no such thing as a stupid question, you know... :)
And it is a great language!

> Could someone please recommend a GOOD book on PYTHON for the beginner.

This has been discussed quite well here, try a newsgroup search on
http://www.python.org/search/.

The Quick Python Book was given a quite good review in last month's Linux
Journal, but I haven't read it (the book) myself, so I can't say...
The review is available on
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/lj-issues/issue73/3851.html

Hope this helps,
  Kalle Svensson