Waffling between Python and Ruby

mkx at excite.com mkx at excite.com
Thu Jun 15 16:31:03 EDT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:51:32 -0400, "Warren Postma"
<embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com> wrote:

>I have many developers in my office who would cry more loudly than I about
>Python's "required indentation", and yet these same developers are always
>telling me that all our company's programmers should tab and indent their
>code the same way, for "readability".   Few can see the contradiction there.

In some of my past experiences, these would be some of the same
developers who would balk at supplying documentation.

In some respects, the "forced" whitespace helps provide Python some of
it's famed readability. It may not be necessary for my own code, but
it sure would have helped in some situations, where programmers seemed
to have gone out of their way to write in an incomprehensible fashion.

Sometimes the "code from hell" is just due to poor training or
discipline on the programmer's part, but I would swear that in some
cases it was on purpose (all humor aside)!

Even with my impeccable logic above (:), I am sure that this is one
argument that will never be won.