SV: Python Productivity over C++

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 08:11:06 EDT 2000

m.faassen at vet.uu.nl (Martijn Faassen) writes:

>   * Pythoneers care less about inheritance hierarchies. When a class
>     supports an interface it supports an interface; inheritance often
>     isn't needed.

To expand on this: it seems to me that the only reason to inherit in
Python is to inherit implementation; there's just no point in
inheriting to inherit an interface (subtyping).  I've lent my copy of
OOSC2 out, but that somewhere has a terrifying diagram listing (I
think) 13 different reasons to inherit; about two of them apply to
Python, IIRC.

simply-admire-simplicity-ly y'rs
Michael

--
  There are two ways of constructing  a software design: one way is to
  make it so  simple that there are obviously  no deficiencies and the