(Serious?) package namespace problem (and a proposal)

Justin Sheehy dworkin at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jun 28 23:58:49 EDT 2000

hzhu at knowledgetrack.com (Huaiyu Zhu) writes:

> What it hurts is to import BBB/AAA.py instead of AAA.py.  I'd be interested
> in how do you "Don't do it".

My apologies.  I saw that you were doing something messy, and ended up
with a mess.  I responded without looking any deeper than that.

It seems that you're being bitten by two things.

One of them is case-insensitivity, which is broken but unavoidable
when on Windows.

The other is relative importing, which doesn't currently have any
user-modifiable way to specify that you really don't want to import
from the package directory.

> Now could any one that think the problem can go away suggest a solution that
> does not need to change file names and still works on Windows.

Sadly, I can't.  As far as I can see, you simply have to avoid naming
submodule files after top level modules that could possibly be
imported by anything in that package.  Feh.

-Justin